Two years two DF25T experience

For all those DF25 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
EYS
Your Country: USA SanDiego/bay

Two years two DF25T experience

Post by EYS »

For those contemplating the purchase of a DF25. As my background. I am 84YO and often a single hander for over 60 years. I have owned over 30 boats up to 52 ft, including 10 years experience with a supercharged Firefly 26 a near rip off of the old DF25. I have sailed on east and west coast including club racing. I have been US Coast Guard AX in past. DF25T #s 74 and 90 are the two boats I own and sail in San Diego and PNW(Seattle area). Now for my impressions. The DF25T is as designed a protected water family boat. The boat is a pleasure to sail and is responsive and very easy to tack and jibe. In light air with the working sails it sails like a 25 ft boat(not particularly fast). When the wind exceeds 10K it sails like a 35-40 foot mono. Down wind with flying sails if you have the experience and nerve it can fly ,remember as with all Multihulls in heavy wind you will be on the edge. Construction appears to be top notch. Folding and unfolding the boat can be a choir especially when new with stiffer joints. Because of the boats light air performance with working sails ,I would think people looking for speed should be happier with the sport. While I would appreciate the extra sail area of the sport in light wind ,I also appreciate the benefits of the shorter rig. I would probably end up doing a lot more single and double reffing if I owned the sport. Because the boat is imported with no real US dealers , and the folding system not of a common type ,many yards are not familiar with it and that could present as a drawback to ownership in the USA when compared to lets say a J/boat or even a Farrier. You may have to be prepared to handle problems on your own. Communication and support with Denmark has not been good in my experience. There is a new USA rep. Hopefully that will alleviate some of this issue. EYS
Ancient marina