Amas moving side to side

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
Steviec14
Your Country: South coast UK

Amas moving side to side

Post by Steviec14 »

All

Noticed that the port amas moves 10mm side to side.

The nuts holding the amas to the arm are very tight but there is a 10mm gap on the inside edge. Therefore the arm does not sit flat on the plastic friction pad; the amas toes in

Any thoughts?
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Got images?

Post by Christian »

Hard to tell what it is, maybe the sliding parts are worn down, may be something is bent. Images would make it easier to give an opinion.
Steviec14

Post by Steviec14 »

I will take a few this week

Steviec14

Post by Steviec14 »

Here is the amas showing the gap. The amas will rock sideways even though the nuts are hard tight
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

The sliding parts are worn down

Post by Christian »

Think you have to replace the sliding parts. Have never done that, but the obvious way seems to be to remove the ama and then unscrew them and make new ones. Think you should send a mail to Querning and ask for the original size, how thick they where from the beginning. If the beam is worn too - you may have to make them thicker.

Or maybe there is something blocking the central part from coming down to right position - an extra washer? Maybe some previous owner has demounted the ama - for transport - and then mounted them faulty. Think you first shall demount them and have a look at all parts. Maybe it is quite easy to re-mount everything in the right order.
Steviec14

Post by Steviec14 »

Following on from this thread, the boat is out of the water. There is a seriously odd looking plate of square tubing under the amas deck that supports the connecting bolt to the aka.

Image Please click on the photo to see it enlarged!

Questions:

1: is this correct, or a right bodge job? (I will check the starboard amas to see what is there)
2: I can a replacement part be purchased?
3: if not spec would any one recommend?

KR

Steve
Paul
Your Country: Australia, Cairns

Post by Paul »

I had a similar problem a few years ago, the weld holding the large bolt to the underdeck s/s frame failed and the bolt came loose. The solution is to replace the whole s/s frame. This happened on both amas at different times, the first time I removed the ama and worked on it upside down to remove the old s/s frame, then had a new one fabricated, epoxied it back in and that solved it. The second time I left the boat in the water and managed to remove the s/s frame (judicious use of a large hammer) and once I had a new one fabricated used a fast setting two pack epoxy to glue it back in. Hasn't been a problem since. The epoxy was recommended by fibreglass International here in Australia, it is a high tech glue used in the aerospace industry, very fast setting and expensive but certainly did the job. Hope this helps.
Steviec14

Post by Steviec14 »

Thanks Paul

Good advice!