Centerboard Jams

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
John Neidig
Your Country: USA, Portland Oregon

Centerboard Jams

Post by John Neidig »

The centerboard on my Dragonfly 35 jams and gets stuck in the up position. The up haul and down haul lines get jammed between the centerboard and the trunk. I have had to take the tabletop off several times to get access and pull the lines free to be able to lower the centerboard.

It looks like there used to be something attached to the centerboard with 2 screws that is missing. I presume it was some sort of guide that prevented the lines from falling between the centerboard and the trunk.

Has anyone experienced this problem and how did you fix it. Or does anyone have a picture or diagram of the missing part so that I can have one fabricated.
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

The solution is somewhere on this page...

Post by Christian »

There are some other threads about this, and one of those has a video showing a new way to thread the lines, it is a mock-up in lego!

Think that can be the solution you need.
/ Christian
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

Hey John, the memories fade but I think there was a white nylon rectangular bar attached to the board that straddled the width of the trunk and prevented the downhaul line from sliding between the board and the trunk.
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
John Neidig
Your Country: USA, Portland Oregon

I fabricated a fix to jamming dagger board

Post by John Neidig »

We took 2 1/2 inch wide UHMW U-channel which we shaved down to 2 1/4 inch wide and cut 45 degrees on forward edge to reduce chaffing. Attached with epoxy and a couple screws. Works well.

The U-channel came in 10 foot length so I have a lot left over in case anyone else wants a fix for jamming dagger-board.

I was recently contacted by a DF 1000 owner with the same problem who wants one of my parts.

I am contacting the administrator to attach a couple photos since that seems to be the only way to include photos.
Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!