What is this parts in the Boom?

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
Tuca
Your Country: Spain, Sevilla

What is this parts in the Boom?

Post by Tuca »

Hello,

In my DragonFly 1000 there is a block and a stopper that don't known what it is used for.

See picture

https://ibb.co/58Wxbxm

Anybody have a clue?

Thank you
Eladio -- DF 1000 #29 "Tuca"
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: What is this parts in the Boom?

Post by Mika Harju »

I use those for Lazy Jacks in my DF1000R
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Tuca

Post by Tuca »

Hi Mika,

You mean both lazy jack lines to a single line, from there to the block and then to the cleat?

Thanks, will try

Does anybody have outhaul in his Dragonfly? Maybe can this be use for outhaul installing some blocks at the end of the boom?

Is extrange that a high performance boat like DragonFly come without outhaul.
Mika Harju

Post by Mika Harju »

About Lazy Jack setup, see attached schematic (photo):

1- My DF1000R is equipped with a rotating mast and quite a big square top main sail. This setup does not work with a fixed mast because the padeyes P1 and P2 are too far from the center of the mast.

2- There are two ropes, R1Left and R1Right, coming down from the outer tips (P1L and P1R) of upper spreaders to the boom. The boom is equipped with small footblocs (FB1L and FB1R) and cleats (C1R and C1L) to adjust the height position of the boom. Footblocs and cleats has been added to the boom.

3- LazyBag is operated by rope system R2-R3-R4. This system lifts the LazyBag up for taking the main sail down. Operated manually by pulling the ring AR3 underneath the padeye P3 after the LazyBag is attched to the rope loops L1 and L2 on both sides. When sailing the LazyBag is rolled around it's battens next to the boom. Without this lifting system loops L1 and L2 are located too high to reach.

4- Lifting rope R3 routing: AR1L - AR2L - AR3 - AR2R - AR1R

5- Guiding rope R2 routing: FixedPadEyeOppsiteFB2 - AR1R - P4 - AR1L - FB2 - C2.

6- Rope R4 prevents the AR3 to get too hight to reach.

This might look very complicated compared to the original system but this works very well. Easy and quick to operate when sailing even single handed.
Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Mika Harju

Post by Mika Harju »

About Main Sail Outhaul:

It is necessary and very important adjustment to control the flying shape of the sail, both main sail and jib. I do not use very often the traveller to control the main sail, but this outhauler system is used a lot.

My updated system has a cleat, a becket block and a single block. This setup gives you 1:2 ratio. The original cleat is located next to the head sail winch at the cockpit. The becket block is located at the outer end of the aka. The single block is located at the end of the boom and is equipped with a snap shackle for easy operation.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Tuca

Post by Tuca »

Mika Harju wrote:About Lazy Jack setup, see attached schematic (photo):
Hi Mika,

Thanks for the explanation. You forgot to attach the schematic
Last edited by Tuca on Thu 21 Nov 19, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Tuca

Post by Tuca »

Mika, can not see how a line can go from the end of the boom to the outher end of the aka. (beginning of boom is the side toward the mast for you?)

I was thinking in the classic installation 4:1 like in this picture

https://ibb.co/x3GFtYt
Mika Harju

Post by Mika Harju »

Sorry
I have misunderstood you. I was talking about boom outhauling arrangement, ie. how to move the boom left-right direction. :oops: See red rope in attached PDF.

Anyhow I do not have any main sail outhauling system. I have removed the boom aft end fitting completely because it is useless. I have replaced it with fixed Dyneema lashings, see attached photo. Basictly you do not need this adjustment on a trimaran like DF1000 because the triangle MainTack - MainClew - BoomPivotPoint, see blue triange in attached PDF. This arrangement tightens automatically the foot of the main sail when the main sheet is tightened during tacking.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Outhaul

Post by Steve B. »

My DF1000 #15 has an outhaul crank on the starboard side of the boom about a meter forward of the aft end. It winds a stainless cable which goes aft through a block on the end fitting of the boom then forward across the top to a short piece of track with a car and an upward swiveling U bolt which is attached to the clew of the mainsail. It works well.

Steve
Tuca

Post by Tuca »

Mika Harju wrote:Sorry
I have misunderstood you. I was talking about boom outhauling arrangement, ie. how to move the boom left-right direction. :oops: See red rope in attached PDF.

Anyhow I do not have any main sail outhauling system. I have removed the boom aft end fitting completely because it is useless. I have replaced it with fixed Dyneema lashings, see attached photo. Basictly you do not need this adjustment on a trimaran like DF1000 because the triangle MainTack - MainClew - BoomPivotPoint, see blue triange in attached PDF. This arrangement tightens automatically the foot of the main sail when the main sheet is tightened during tacking.
Hi Mika,

Is only me, or I'm the only one that not can see the attached pdf or photo?

Thanks
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Where are all the photos?

Post by Steve B. »

Not just the one on this thread either. I can't find any of the old ones.
Or is it just me also? :cry:
Mika Harju

Re: Where are all the photos?

Post by Mika Harju »

Just wait. It is not possible to add attachments by yourself.

See the instructions from here:
faq.php?sid=00a411608e652747e644efc9c848f98c#14
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Voici les photos

Post by Bo Wetzel »

For the lazyjack look higher up to Mika's reply, I've added it there.
The others from Mika are here:
Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image Image

BankSailsClewSetUp2016
Tuca

Post by Tuca »

Hi Bo thanks for uploading the pictures.

Mika really thanks for all you explanations now I fully understand what you were explaining. Learning every day with my DF1000
Mika Harju

Post by Mika Harju »

Hi Tuca
I am happy to help you. These DF's are quite different compared to monohulls if you're a newcomer.
As you can see I've made a 3D CAD model of mine so it is quite easy to present different details.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8