Main halyard - extreme power is needed - or?

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
PerPedersen
Your Country: Denmark, Vordingborg

Main halyard - extreme power is needed - or?

Post by PerPedersen »

Hi.

Have a DF800 FW bought last year. Very happy :D

Wondering about the force needed to set the main sail.

Even with the 2 speed winch it takes a lot of muscles, which I fortunately have but my wife doesn't. I have checked that nothing is blocking the sliding of the mountings and also lubricated each plastic main sail mounting with silicone.

And just hoisting the halyard is not posing any resistance what so ever.

Did switch the main halyard and the genoa halyard when raising the mast, but again no resistance.

It's a fairly new main sail and pretty heavy - but is it SO hard - like giving it everything I got?

Any experience??

Thanks,
Per
Dragonfly 800 FW Cruising
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

A few things to check:

1. Block at the top of the mast. Inspect and lubricate. It may be broken or jammed.

2. Block at the bottom of the mast and any deck organizers.

You will only notice these problems under load.

3. You may have a broken sheave that jams the halyard under load.

4. Inspect your halyard for damage. Damaged halyard may hang up on something.

Is it difficult to raise from start to end or only in some parts? The last 2 meters or so of raising the main was very difficult on my 920 once. It resulted in Dyneema halyard to break under way!

I do not recommend sailing until you resolve this.
PerPedersen

Post by PerPedersen »

gminkovsky wrote:A few things to check:

1. Block at the top of the mast. Inspect and lubricate. It may be broken or jammed.

2. Block at the bottom of the mast and any deck organizers.

You will only notice these problems under load.

3. You may have a broken sheave that jams the halyard under load.

4. Inspect your halyard for damage. Damaged halyard may hang up on something.

Is it difficult to raise from start to end or only in some parts? The last 2 meters or so of raising the main was very difficult on my 920 once. It resulted in Dyneema halyard to break under way!

I do not recommend sailing until you resolve this.
Thanks gminkovsky.

Will inspect what I have direct access to and the top when the mast is lowered in the autumn.

First part goes fine, then it becomes harder and harder.

But I have realized that I'm not using my winch correctly. I only put a couple of rounds on the winch and using the 1:1 and 1:2 ratio the same.

Next time, I'll use the full width of the winch, start with the fast gearing and then only the low/slow and then see how it goes.

I'll post the result when done :)
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

You should not need a winch at all to raise a main. You should only use the winch to tighten the halyard.

I strongly advise you to find the source of the problem before a serious mishap happens. You should not wait until autumn.

It's very easy to lower the mast on 800. Do not remove the jib. Just come to a dock and lower the mast, inspect the top of the mast, and maybe even use a messenger line and take the halyard out and inspect it. Then raise the mast again. While at it, reverse the halyard to prolong its life. (you will need to support the top of the mast with a ladder in order to take the halyard out.)

One more item to check: your halyard should be 2:1. If it was rigged 1:1 it would make it relatively difficult to raise but still should not need a winch.
PerPedersen

Post by PerPedersen »

gminkovsky wrote:You should not need a winch at all to raise a main. You should only use the winch to tighten the halyard.

I strongly advise you to find the source of the problem before a serious mishap happens. You should not wait until autumn.

It's very easy to lower the mast on 800. Do not remove the jib. Just come to a dock and lower the mast, inspect the top of the mast, and maybe even use a messenger line and take the halyard out and inspect it. Then raise the mast again. While at it, reverse the halyard to prolong its life. (you will need to support the top of the mast with a ladder in order to take the halyard out.)

One more item to check: your halyard should be 2:1. If it was rigged 1:1 it would make it relatively difficult to raise but still should not need a winch.
Thanks again - I'll reconsider my strategy and I have contacted the previous owner to hear his experience with this issue ;)
PerPedersen

Post by PerPedersen »

Previous owner confirms that the winch is only necessary the last 1.5 meter or so. So something is wrong, and I'll investigate before using the main sail again.
PerPedersen

Issue found

Post by PerPedersen »

Did the investigation and found the issue.

At the base of the mast, the rollers are scratching the edge off against the edge of the mast, i.e. the mast is to low down or the rollers are to big.

When the rollers are under load, they are lifted a bit hence making the problem worse.

Previous owner also mentioned to put something under the mast. Didn't understand until now. :idea:

And since the mast is rotating, it can in fact be in a position where the rollers are not touching and hence no problem when testing. BUT when raising the sail the boat is always pointing to the wind, so problem will always be there in a 'live' situation.

I'm impressed that I was able to raise the sail at all :shock:

My fix will of course be to replace the rollers with some smaller ones, same width.

ps: didn't mention before, but the headsail was also difficult to raise, but this is only done once with the rolling system. Same symptom, same issue.
PerPedersen

Update info

Post by PerPedersen »

Finally came around to the mast head and sure enough, two rollers too big, cracked and grinding against each other.

Changed that as well, still an issue :shock:

Found the old main sail, much lighter and easier to handle. Flew right up!

Conclusion: the new main sail is too heavy for handling and raising, and it IS considerable heavier than the old one. And to be honest, I think the bigger rollers were fitted to try to fix the issue.

Take note of this when ordering new sails, bigger and heavier is not necessarily better.

Gonna now fix new sail pins to the old sail, an off I go!
PerPedersen

Re: Update info

Post by PerPedersen »

PerPedersen wrote:Finally came around to the mast head and sure enough, two rollers too big, cracked and grinding against each other.

Changed that as well, still an issue :shock:

Found the old main sail, much lighter and easier to handle. Flew right up!

Conclusion: the new main sail is too heavy for handling and raising, and it IS considerable heavier than the old one. And to be honest, I think the bigger rollers were fitted to try to fix the issue.

Take note of this when ordering new sails, bigger and heavier is not necessarily better.

Gonna now fix new sail battens to the old sail, an off I go!
dragonfly88
Your Country: USA Portsmouth NH

Post by dragonfly88 »

Hi, I also have difficulty raising the mainsail and the problem is with the slugs. A full battened sail needs longer slugs at each batten as the twisting force of the batten makes them bind in the sail track. Lubricating works for one raising but wears off. My sail also binds when lowering. The slugs I'm installing have rollers as well.

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/ronstan- ... al-rollers

The other solution is to install batten cars at each batten. Much more expensive. Good luck