Rudder downhaul

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
DennisM39
Your Country: Canada, Victoria

Rudder downhaul

Post by DennisM39 »

There is a builtin fibreglass tube about 3 inches in diameter that the rudder downhaul runs through from the aft end of the cockpit to where the downhaul exits the hull at the waterline. About midway on the tube there is a 1/2 inch (?) stainless pin that runs through the middle of the tube. It is bent, which I do not imagine was by design. Does anyone know the function of this pin? The rudder is very diffcult to pull up from the aft deck and I am wondering if this has anything to do with it. Thx. [/code]
Dennis
Dragonfly 1000 "Escape Velocity"
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Pin in DF1000 rudder tube

Post by Steve B. »

The pin holds the upper end of a block and tackle. 5:1 as I remember.
I have removed mine three times over the years.
Once was for replacement of the ss line which attached to the rudder.
It can be accessed by removing the downhaul line cover on the aft end of the cockpit.
The pin can be removed fairly easily and the blocks inspected etc.
Reassembly is "interesting" to say the least, but it can be done more easily with two people. One person needs to pull the rudder line slowly out of the aft end while the other person (being thin and small helps) watches down the forward end. The trick is getting a shaft (screwdriver or similar) through the holes and the upper block.
If the boat is on land, the aft person can do this, but if in the water, a third person would make it easier. I've done this twice in the water at the dock,and one time hauled out.

Mine was slightly bent as well,which could possibly be designed that way to center the assembly when it's loaded.
OTOH, it might have gotten bent when the rudder impacted a log when hard on the wind sailing straight into the sun at ten knots!
Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

It can be accessed by removing the downhaul line cover on the aft end of the cockpit.
Reassembly is "interesting" to say the least, but it can be done more easily with two people. One person needs to pull the rudder line slowly out of the aft end while the other person (being thin and small helps) watches down the forward end. The trick is getting a shaft (screwdriver or similar) through the holes and the upper block.
If the boat is on land, the aft person can do this, but if in the water, a third person would make it easier. I've done this twice in the water at the dock,and one time hauled out.

Mine was slightly bent as well,which could possibly be designed that way to center the assembly when it's loaded.
OTOH, it might have gotten bent when the rudder impacted a log when hard on the wind sailing straight into the sun at ten knots!
Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

Martin W
Your Country: UK, Solent

Post by Martin W »

Sounds exactly the same as the 920. My pin is bent too, probably from clouting something with the rudder. Incidentally, whilst ashore, my rudder downhaul blocks capsised in the tube, and then made a break for freedom! Luckily I spotted it before relaunch. Replaced the tube with a bit of carbon pipe from a broken dingy boom I found in the grass, and reinstalled it all, complete with bent pin.
DF920 Chiara