Electric Generator

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
jerry99
Your Country: Switzerland, Fribourg/ FR

Electric Generator

Post by jerry99 »

I am thinking to install an electric Generator on a DF920E. I consider to buy a Fischer Panda 5000i.Neo. Has someone experience with such an installation?
Any comments?
DF 920E SUI-118, Lilly Belle
Martin W
Your Country: UK, Solent

Post by Martin W »

That’s a lot of output, and a lot of weight and bulk on a boat the size and payload of a DF920. What equipment do you want to run? My 5 bed house rarely gets up to 4Kw of use. Would a smaller, lighter unit not meet your needs?
jerry99

Post by jerry99 »

Hi Martin
Thank you for response. I considered to buy a kräutler electro engine I skip this idea: too expensive. Now I consider to buy a Honda generator.
DF 920E SUI-118, Lilly Belle
jerry99

Post by jerry99 »

Martin W wrote:That’s a lot of output, and a lot of weight and bulk on a boat the size and payload of a DF920. What equipment do you want to run? My 5 bed house rarely gets up to 4Kw of use. Would a smaller, lighter unit not meet your needs?
Dear Martin
I want to be independent for 4 days and be shure to load my batteries as much as I need to reach the next shorepower.

So, the alternator gives me safety. The weight is not so a problem in my case, because I am about 80% of time singlehandet.
Martin W
Your Country: UK, Solent

Post by Martin W »

jerry99 wrote:
Martin W wrote:That’s a lot of output, and a lot of weight and bulk on a boat the size and payload of a DF920. What equipment do you want to run? My 5 bed house rarely gets up to 4Kw of use. Would a smaller, lighter unit not meet your needs?
Dear Martin
I want to be independent for 4 days and be shure to load my batteries as much as I need to reach the next shorepower.

So, the alternator gives me safety. The weight is not so a problem in my case, because I am about 80% of time singlehandet.
We manage with solar, and charging from the outboard. Currently we have 150w, but could easily install panels on the ama foredecks too, and, one day, when the canvas guys actually finish our sprayhood and tent (a long, sad story, they say) we’ll have another 100w panel on the tent whenever it’s up. So, 250w in harbour, standard batteries are 150ah, giving say 70ah usable before causing damage. We only get battery discharge after dark with our 150w in summer, the rest is winter power security really. We might look at battery capacity rather than generation. You could do both solar and a flippin’ huge lithium battery for lower cost and far less weight than a generator. We could effectively live aboard with our power needs as is. Heating, fridge, lights and instruments. The heating is the largest drain.
DF920 Chiara