Insurance in U.S.

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
sfdavenport
Your Country: Duxbury, Massachusetts USA
Sailing Area: New England

Insurance in U.S.

Post by sfdavenport »

Hello--I'm in the middle of purchasing a 1989 Dragonfly 920, and cannot seem to find any insurer that will provide damage/comprehensive insurance on the boat (liability only). I've tried several brokers, all of whom have said it is "virtually impossible" to find insurance for a trimaran more than 20 years old in the U.S. With all of the older Corsairs and Dragonfly tris on the water, this seems hard to believe. Has anyone had luck with an insurer who is willing to insurer an older Dragonfly in the U.S. Getting desperate, so thanks for an leads!
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

It's difficult to find insurance on ANY trimaran in the US.

Contact NBOA. They seem to still be able to find insurance companies for trimarans. Although, every few years an insurance company drops out. I've had 3 or 4 different insurance companies through them over the last 20 years.

Also, make sure to tell them ALL the years that you've sailed on any boats. Your years of experience really help. Count your experience starting with your first Opti, and on to any power boat and sail boat. It does not have to be a boat that you owned. Also it helps if have any certifications and/or safety courses, e.g. Power Squadron.

Also, your boat only goes 6 knots or so!!!! That is your true speed under power.

If you only want liability, i.e. no hull insurance, you should also contact your home insurer. They may cover you as part of home insurance or for small charge as an additional rider. Also, if you have umbrella insurance, you may have extended coverage.
sfdavenport
Your Country: Duxbury, Massachusetts USA
Sailing Area: New England

Post by sfdavenport »

Thank you. Very helpful. I haven't tried NBOA so I will reach out to them now. Good advice too on the 6knt speed and providing sailing experience; I have a "sailing resume" that I keep current and have provided to all of my prior boat insurers, which has been key. I'll let folks know if I'm successful in finding someone. Fingers crossed.