Raising the mainsail

For all those DF25 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
EYS
Your Country: USA SanDiego/bay

Raising the mainsail

Post by EYS »

I usually single hand and have done it for over 60 years. Now in my mid 80s ,for the last two years ,I am sailing the new DF25 touring. I have always found that getting the main up and drawing fast is a good thing. Many years ago I purchased for my J/44 a plumbers right angle drill and had a machine shop make a bit that matched a winch receptacle. Over the years I used this technique for raising the mainsails on many boats particularly on full battened sails which can be difficult. On the 25 i now use a wireless Mikita XADOST 18V LXT with a Harken bit adaptor. I also have self tailing winches (special order QB). I hold and activate drill with right hand and guide leach through lazy jacks and shrouds with left hand with eyes on sail while boat powers slowly into wind. Steering done with either tiller tamer or autopilot. Do not use Milwaukee wireless drill ,it eats batteries. Without self tailing winch it would still work with one tailer and one crew right hand on drill other on sail leach. If you use this technique keep eyes on sail you don’t want to catch batten on lazy jack or shroud on way up. By the way the DF25T is a good single hander mild mannered and responsive. I have not sailed the Sport version ,hopefully its rig will provide the extra power the touring is lacking in light air with working sails. My advise to the racers and fast set ,get the Sport, if I were 10-20 years younger I would have. EYS
Ancient marina