Outboarder on a DF920e - 10 oder 15 hp

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
jerry99
Your Country: Switzerland, Fribourg/ FR

Outboarder on a DF920e - 10 oder 15 hp

Post by jerry99 »

Hi Folks

This summer I was out by 30kts wind and 1-1.5 m waves.
I had to learn the outoboarder Honda 10 was to weak to hold the boat in wind.
Also I had to go out of the cockpit to tilt the motor up - nasty.
Electric tilt would solve this problem - this option I found only in Honda 15.

My questions:
- Would a Honda 15 perform better?
- Are there structural considerations about the transom?

What are the knowledge and experiences in the DF920 universe?

Kind regards
DF 920E SUI-118, Lilly Belle
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

I find that the outboard is useless as soon as the waves build up because the prop comes out of the water.

On the other hand, if there are no waves, my Honda 10 managed just fine to keep the bow into the wind. We weathered a couple of storms in harbors with winds 30-35, even had to re-anchor into deeper water.

Regarding upgrade to Honda 15: I considered that option on my 920. I think the transom is fine for the larger motor. I was particularly interested in the electric lift.

However, we decided NOT to go with electric: if your batteries are low you will not be able to either lower or raise the engine without going to the swim platform or even onto the swim ladder. I already had a season or two when my batteries were low due to age or problems with solar charging.

So, IMO, the simpler the better.
schleisurfer
Your Country: Schleswig

outboard

Post by schleisurfer »

Hi guys,

although the only way to keep the prop under water under all conditions is to switch to an inboard diesel :-) I would recommend the 15 hp ultralong shaft motor for safety reasons:

due to electric tilt and starter even my wife ( 69 yrs, 46 kg) is able to operate the motor . she did not manage to lift the 10 hp on our DF 800 for 1 cm to unlock it in order to let it into the water.

I don't find any reinforcements for the 15 hp on our 920 EX, the transom seems to be designed for it from Quorning.
jerry99
Your Country: Switzerland, Fribourg/ FR

Re: outboard

Post by jerry99 »

schleisurfer wrote:Hi guys,

although the only way to keep the prop under water under all conditions is to switch to an inboard diesel :-) I would recommend the 15 hp ultralong shaft motor for safety reasons:

due to electric tilt and starter even my wife ( 69 yrs, 46 kg) is able to operate the motor . she did not manage to lift the 10 hp on our DF 800 for 1 cm to unlock it in order to let it into the water.

I don't find any reinforcements for the 15 hp on our 920 EX, the transom seems to be designed for it from Quorning.
Thanks for you answers - both of you!

Schleisurfer - Is there no possibility to lower the outborder without electric power? Otherwise, this would be a serious risk I think.

Kind regards
DF 920E SUI-118, Lilly Belle
schleisurfer
Your Country: Schleswig

Post by schleisurfer »

Hi Jerry99,

there is a manual relief valve which makes it possible to tilt the motor up and down in case of battery oder tiltmotor problems.

i don't really want to tilt the 60 kg motor up by hand, but in case of emergency it should be possible to lower it gently and that's all we need.

best regards
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

To reach the relief valve you have to be on the swim platform bending and reaching down low or (preferably) on the swim ladder steps.
Martin W
Your Country: UK, Solent

Post by Martin W »

We’ve got a 15hp Honda. Except for it having the wrong prop, soon to be rectified, it’s great. And surely, with decent batteries, a solar panel and engine alternator, the power trim will be pretty reliable. Like many here, we find the power trim enables the boat to be operated by ladies who sail, not just body building men. I can no longer contemplate standing on the swim step mid channel to manually lower the motor myself either.

We hope to fit our new prop this week, and try it out.
DF920 Chiara
Martin W
Your Country: UK, Solent

Post by Martin W »

New propeller fitted and tested. Original prop 9 1/4 x10. New prop 10 x 5. Polastorm. Large area zero camber blades, the improvement is immediately obvious. The shallower pitch enables the engine to rev out, reversing and stopping are transformed. 2 way GPS speed 7.5 kn, and she’s filthy, I reckon at least another kn when clean. The amount of grunt in reverse almost took me by surprise.
DF920 Chiara